Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Flu, Schmu

People are going CRAZY over the H1N1. It's ridiculous, really. Yeah, I get it, everyone is at risk. But honestly, I see no reason for the psycho paranoia that's all over the news. Yes, people have died from it. BUT. More people have died from the "regular" flu. Why isn't that on the news? I was talking to a friend this morning & she agrees. She also thinks that because this flu has an actual name, be H1N1 or Swine Flu, whatever, that that is why people are spazzing. If the normal flu you get was called, say, Franny's Flu, maybe folks would freak about that? No matter what, the flu is the flu is the flu. Named or not, it's out there, & people get it ALL the time. This is why we have vaccinations.

Which brings up another point. Tons of people on my facebook are anti-Swine vax. Because there's no research on it. Um, yet they got the regular flu vaccine?? Makes no sense. My boys (and G) are considered high risk for all flus, since they all have asthma. They are all (and possibly me, when I can) getting both the H1N1 AND the regular flu vaccine. In fact, our doctor recommended it. She says to get the H1N1 first, then the other afterwards. Which we will do. But, my children also have all their other vaccines. And PS - if anyone starts bashing my blog, I'm deleting them :D Just a heads up.

In all honesty, I think that people have had SO much information, right & wrong, about the Swine Flu, the flu & it's vaccines, that they are downright confused. Now they've stopped vaccines, & are re evaluating how they have dealt with it all. Finally. They are now telling everyone that while it's out there, H1N1 is NOT as big as a deal as they made it out to be. Wow. Ya think?? Too bad that info is about 6 months late. They (the media) have created this giant, huge, all encompassing monster, and have freaked out every single person on the planet. Yay Media!! Now they are trying to clean up their giant mess, & people who truly need vaccines (flu, H1N1, whichever) are suffering, because the wrong people got it, or a hockey team managed to get their families vaccinated instead of the high risk people. Isn't Paranoia fun?

Edit to Add - wow, that was slightly disjointed, oops. I'll try to edit this later when I've had more coffee!

No comments: