Monday, February 20, 2012

Family Day Celebrations

Today in Saskatchewan is Family Day. This means that the boys are home from school today (and all this week!). To celebrate Family Day, we plan on completely cleaning out the toy room, watching movies & eating popcorn. Fun right??

I remember our very first Family Day, way back in February 2002. I was 8 months pregnant, and we lived in Hinton, AB (in the mountains, SO pretty!). My sister was visiting, so the 3 and a half of us headed out to one of the local regional parks for their Family Day festivities!

There was a giant wiener roast, hot chocolate, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, & luging. It was so fun! We couldn`t luge, but we did watch. It was crazy! And would have been so fun, if I didn`t have such a large tummy! We did go cross country skiing though, & I learned that when preganant, I have the balance of a dead cat, haha! I could not stand up for longer than 3 minutes at a time.

The entire weekend was amazing. We showed my sister all kinds of places to explore! We drove to Tanlge Falls (on the side of the highway on the way to Banff), and watch some guys ice climb up the frozen falls. We went to Athabasca Falls & walked along the trails. We walked around downtown Jasper, and checked out the ice sculptures.

Every year on Family Day, I remember our awesome weekend in the mountains. I always miss "my" mountains this time of year! When we lived in Hinton, every weekend was spent exploring. We`d pack up the baby, a picnic lunch & just drive. We always found a new place to explore, somewhere different, somewhere prettier than the last place. Family Day weekend gave it the magical winter glow, seeing everyone out enjoying the majestic beauty of the mountins.

One of these years, I`d love to take the boys back to Hinton. To visit friends, to see the mountains. To experience a true Family Day, and what it is to me. The ice sculptures in downtown Jasper, the frozen waterfalls, hot chocolate & cross country skiing. Not to mention the Young Outdoor Classic in Edson, at G`s aunt & uncle`s house!

Every year, on the Family Day weekend, G`s uncle puts on his Outdoor Classic. He has built an Olympic sized rink in their yard, dressing rooms, HEATED bleachers, it is an amazing sight! There are beer garden & concessions (with proceeds that go to things needed in the community, this year it was for the new Spray Park in Edson). It is amazing! The kids love it, the adults love it, it`s a great way to spend a Family Weekend!

My dream Family Week? We would head to Edson for the Classic, then spend 5 days or so in Edson/Hinton/Jasper, visiting friends & family (G has an aunt & uncle, 3 cousins with families, & his brother/sister in law & their 2 little ones there), going to the parks we used to visit, & enjoying the mountains. Now to hope hockey doesn`t ruin my plans for next year!

Whatever you do to celebrate Family Day, I hope you are with the ones you love, doing something fun & exciting! Enjoy your time together, and Happy Family Day :)

No comments: