Monday, January 16, 2012

Kitchen Revamping

When we bought our house almost 5 years ago (we bought it Feb 13/07 & moved in Apr 26/07), we knew it needed a LOT of work. It is a 1920 character home, & I absolutely adore it! While we have done a few things (painted throughout, new bathroom, worked in the kitchen, added a fence), we still have so much to do! We are hoping to rebuild our veranda this summer, build an addition, finish the floors, & finish our current bedroom.

So far, my favorite room is the kitchen. Which makes sense, since I spend most of my time in there! We painted, added a couple cupboard doors where needed (who doesn`t want doors on their cupboards?!?), & redid our countertops. I am currently scraping glue off the original 1920 hardwoods. Yes, glue. Someone, in a haze of craziness, glued the ugliest, roughest, blue-gray carpet to the floor (granted, our kitchen used to be a bedroom). Anyway. I am almost done scraping the glue (just the dining & living areas left!), then we will be doing a light sand to be sure all the glue is gone, & restaining. The floors were originally dark, & I plan on keeping them dark. Our cabinets (custom built in Dec 2006) are a warm fruitwood, & well, I can`t change those, LOL.

Anyway. All this to say, I wanted to share progress pictures with you! Here are the befores, from May of 2007. Ignore the mess, & the silly baby (I can`t get over that Ryden used to be that little, sniff sniff!), but here they are :)

This was taken while standing in the living room, looking west.  Love the southwestern teal bluey-green!  Ick :(  Check out that fabulous carpet too!  Who says kitchen carpet is a bad idea??


Standind with my back against the window.  My sink!  I love my double sink.  The right side is so super deep, perfect for defrosting 20 pound turkeys!  Also note the silly baby!  He was mad I was taking pictures that weren`t of him ;)


The built in hutch.  I was so excited when I saw this!  I thought the bottom was all storage.  It`s not :(  I also love the no doors, & eating off dusty dishes.

And so, that was my kitchen, almost 5 years ago.  Stay tuned, my next post will include up to date photos!

No comments: