Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Counting Down To Summer...

So, I am starting to think of summer more and more. Today, I washed winter jackets, ski pants, mitts, touques, etc etc so I could put them all away. I spray hockey bags & put them in the shed. We used the BBQ last night for the first time in a LONG time. All of these little things add up to one BIG thing. SUMMER IS COMING. And I cannot freaking wait!

We already have a couple things planned for this summer. We have a birthday party to attend, a baby shower, a possible high school reunion, and most important, CAMPING. We plan on heading to Greenwater in July for a week with our neighbor & her kids. I absolutely cannot wait for this trip! I have not ben camping in forever.

Eight years ago, we lived in the most perfect place to go camping. We live in Hinton, 7 minutes from the gates of Jasper, & 40 minutes from the town of Jasper. However, I was pregnant. Pregnancy & camping just did not mix in my book! Had I wn what my next pregnancy held, I would have gone & enjoyed the moutains! The next summer, 2002, Anson was 3 months old, & it was one freaking HOT summer. We went to Calgary in July, & it was 38C. Babies don't like it that hot. Anson was naked A LOT in Calgary, & laid in the little splash pool his Oma got him.

Summer 2003, we had moved back to Saskatchewan & I was pregnant again, & horribly awfully sick. I threw up at least twice a day (and did so for 9 long, miserable months), was on partial bedrest, yada yada yada. It all added up to no camping. The next summer, I had a 2 year old and a 3 month old. Camping didn't sound like a good idea, LOL. Then the boys were 1 & 3. I thought they were too little, & too fast & it would be too dangerous.

When they were 2 & 4, 3 & 5, 4 & 6, we did day trips to the lake. We'd go with friends for the day, just to hang out, swim, catch minnows. We've been Greenwater, Barrier, Marean, Kip. The boys LOVE the lake. We would have supper at the lake, in a day site, or with friends at their cabin. Hot dogs & s'mores over the firepit. YUM. Garth & the boys "camp" at home lots too. We set the tent up for them, roast marshmallows & just sit and enjoy the firepit (my favorite Mother's Day gift so far!). So they know what camping is all about. I can't wait to take them on their first "real" camping trip!

Garth took holidays on my birthday this year, because it's a long weekend, sort of. Canada Day is a Wednesday this year, so he took Thursday (my birthday!), & Friday off, giving us 5 days of camping! I am not sure if we'll go that long, but we'll see. I'd love to go to Hinton for it though. The boys would love to see their friends there, & I know Tara would be up for a visit! All I know is, July 1 - 5, we will be camping. WOO!

No comments: